CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Soaked shirts, soggy socks, but spirits not dampened

I am not sure what was going through my mind a little over a week ago when my sister Tiffany offered me a number in the St. George Marathon if I wanted to run it. My first thought was "We can make it a little weekend getaway to somewhere warm"!! My next thought was " I have never ran St. George and from what I hear the course is mainly down hill" not so bad right? So I said yes, and spent the week of not feeling all that great about the upcoming event.

So as we lined up at the starting line it was raining, and cold and I thought to myself "this is better than 90 degree weather, I am sure it won't rain the whole time". (IT DID). We started running in the dark and I felt OK, but as the time went on I realized having youth on my side was not enough alone. Yes, it rained the whole time and I found myself splashing through many puddles. I met a man almost twice my age and we ran together for most of the way. He was shooting for a 3:15 marathon and had to pull away the last three miles. Again I had age on my side but he had experience, training and the mental ability I lacked. I found those last three miles incredibly long but as I ran past mile marker #24 I heard hoots and hollers from the best cheering section I could ask for. My family!!! My mom caught up with me and ran alongside for a little bit to keep me motivated. I didn't get to see Garrett and my kiddos until after I had crossed the finish line and realized we hadn't communicated timing very well. Every time he got to a spot and got the kids out I had already passed. I was so excited to see them there at the end though. I must say it was a good experience but next time I will plan accordingly.

I didn't get to see many others after the race due to cold kids and a cold mama, but Tiff and my cousins Megan, Matt, Shane, and Doug also ran and did incredibly well. They made it look easy and they actually enjoyed the ride. Maybe next time?


*




"This isn't so bad, only 12 miles to go"


I got a rude awakening 9 miles later when I completely hit the wall.


*


My star runner met me at the finish line to run along with me!!



*


Just Glad to be done!

*

After the marathon Garrett and Travis took the kids to Zions where they hiked around before heading to the priesthood session.
*

*

*

*

We spent a wonderful weekend with family listening to conference relaxing and of course fitting in some much needed shopping. I will remember in the future that we don't need a marathon for an excuse to escape for the weekend. Thank you to everyone who stood in the rain to see me run for 5 sec.

YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!

11 comments:

Jaynann said...

I know you are too modest, but I have to reveal your amazing time!! 3 hours and 20 minutes, right? Correct me if I am wrong. Imagine your speed if you actually trained! So amazing that you just went and ran it in such great time. So impressed.

The Bonham Family said...

WOW WOW WOW! 3 hours and 20 minutes... What the crap Ash. You are amazing! You have always been such an amazing runner. Im so proud of you. I wish I still even had the desire to do the marathon. Im perfect with the half or maybe less!!! Way to go. I miss ya!

Unknown said...

Wow! You are amazing! Running is something I have never been good at. Good for you!

Taryn and the boys said...

You're wonder woman, Ash, that's awesome! Maybe one of these years I'll do something. Although I've got a great excuse right now.

The Christensens said...

Seriously, you can do THAT without training??? You're awesome! I feel honored to be related to you :)

Heath said...

Congratulations Ashley. You LOOK like a professional athlete! I am so proud of you. You are so amazing to accomplish these feets of endurance...especially on a moments notice.

Megan Andersen said...

You did AWESOME!!! I can't imagine running that beast any faster then I did--but you are speedy gonzales!! Had I just stayed at the Expo 5 minutes longer, I would have seen you. SHOOT! I loved seeing your family along the course, they gave me that extra boost to lift my spirits. I love you guys.

TNTWilliams said...

You are awesome! You just never stop. I think running the marathon is a great reason to get away-we love to cheer you on. But if you ever want to go just to go, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Ash
You are nuts. I miss you guys. I can't believe Gavin is 1 already. We need to play. Congratulations on the marathon, you are so amazing - and crazy.
Meg and Jon

Jennifer Phillips said...

Holy cow first off I can't believe how little and tiny you are, that's it I need to get serious about running so I can look like you. 2nd off congrats, so since you made it under 4hrs are you going to the Boston marathon, my sister in law was also down there running and she said that if you get in under 4hrs you qualify

Sid said...

21 miles... in 3hrs 20 mins!!!
I keep asking Garrett how you guys manage 21 miles in first place!!!

Keep it up!

You may like this
http://www.himalayan.com/index.htm