CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Open mouth and insert foot!!!!!


I had to quickly hop on and document this little situation that happened to me today. I am posting this more for my sake than for anyone reading it.

Let me just tell you how the morning started out:
Both kids woke up at 6:00 am. and were ready for breakfast and playtime.
Followed by baths, two outfit changes for Gavin (diaper blowout), princess dress ups and dropping Garrett off at work. I then rushed to find Birthday invitations for
Kenedy's birthday ( which is next week). I totally spaced it and now I am frantically trying to plan some amazing party.
We don't find any invitations to her liking and we leave the store with frog and princess invitations, and she is hysterically crying because we did not get the Belle horse to take home.
When we get home Gavin is hungry so I prepare lunch for the kids. Gavin chows,
Kenedy has a few bites. After lunch they play with some toys as I am searching for my address book. Kenedy then clocks Gavin over the head with this huge wooden ship and Gavin starts crying (not the first incident today). I put her in time out and afterword ask her if she is ready for quiet time. It is not even noon yet. I lay her down in bed and head back down stairs. All is well right? Of course not, Kenedy is jumping on the bed singing and has no intention of actually quieting down. At this point it is time for Gavin to take a nap. I lay him down and come down stairs to address invites. Its quiet so I assume they must both be asleep, and then I hear a thud from upstairs. She is now entertaining Gavin on a chair near his crib (no wonder things are momentarily quiet). I scold her and put her down. About 5 minutes later she comes tiptoeing downstairs saying "mommy, I am hungry". I am upset because I have already made and discarded her lunch and now she wants something new. I stomp into the kitchen to make her noodles and as I am stewing over the stove I hear Kenedy quietly singing " I am a Child of God" and playing with her magnets.The song didn't really connect with me until I hear her sweet voice sing " has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear". (Yeah right, that was not the definition of her mom at this point" I immediately stopped and turned to her as she shyly came to me and hugged my leg.
The last six hours flash quickly through my mind and I am feeling incredibly bad about my parenting skills. And yet she still loves me, and immediately lets my crabby attitude slide. This was just a great reminder to me how
Christ-like children are and how I need to take her example and apply it more fully in my life.
Needless to say she ate everything I made her and then quietly (and happily) laid down for quiet time.

7 comments:

Heath said...

That is so so sweet. I, also, have had moments like that where I get a glimpse of purety from my kids. I remember swatting Talmage's hand and then telling him I was sorry. He had already forgiven me and I was awed at how quickly our trespasses are washed clean in their eyes. Cute story.

The Bonham Family said...

That was such a sweet story! It's always at night when I reflect back and look at my day and say wow was I a ronch today! Kids are such an amazing example of forgivness! Your little girl is so sweet I love how she loves pricness stuff so much! I called you and left you a message last night to come meet at Draper Park we missed you and would have loved to catch up. Well do it again soon and would love to see you!

aimee said...

ah the joys of being a mom. hope all is going well with you, we miss you guys. you ok if i put a link to your blog on our website so i don't have to go through corts? let me know---you can email me at aimee@smithfamilyweb.org. talk to you soon.

Heather said...

What a sweet story! I love it when you have those moments where you get a little reminder that kids are so pure and loving and you just need to take a deep breath and count to 5!! Thank you for sharing this, I know I will think of it the next time I get frustrated.

TNTWilliams said...

Thanks for sharing! I swear-our kids are so forgiving (and we are pretty forgiving as well). I love how these sweet little kids teach us so much. You are such a good and darling mom.

Jaynann said...

Those are the moments. :)

Anonymous said...

At3? more like open mouth insert c--k and suck baby girl